Tuesday, August 12: 2Kings 12- Maintaining the house of God.

Maintenance is not fun or glamorous but it is necessary. Joash recognized that the Temple needed maintenance so he created a plan to see that it was done. In so doing he honored God.

Maintenance… I found myself thinking about maintenance and how important it is.

About a month ago I returned from a trip to Nigeria. As I understand it, Hausa, the first language of many Nigerians that I know, has no word for maintenance. The word, and apparently the concept, does not exist for them. And you see that in the disrepair of buildings all over the place.

Yet, being a wise and faithful steward of the things God gives us requires that we do appropriate maintenance. Farmers rotate crops as a means of maintaining the fields so that they don’t deplete the nutrient base. Houses and building need basic maintenance to keep them in good condition, which means they will last many years. Well maintained vehicles will run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Maintenance is important. And as it is with the material things of life, so it is with the spiritual things of life. I need to do the best I can to maintain my health and wellbeing. Eating wisely, exercise, and adequate rest are all important! And so is regular time with the Lord.  Feeding my inner life with prayer, Bible reading and meditation is part of the regular maintenance I need to do to keep my spiritual life healthy and strong.

Maintenance is important. … maintenance of what God has given us is important. Think about it.

Lord, I pray that I am an able steward of the life You have given me. Lord, may I take care of my health, my life, my relationship with You. And Lord, I pray for godly attitudes as I care for the life You have given me. Lord, I pray that I take care of my health so that I am healthy and vigorous to serve You and not for vanity reasons and motivations.

Lord, I pray that my heart delights is maintaining my connection and relationship with You. Lord, that prayer, study of Your Word, and meditation will be a delight for me and not a chore or duty.

I praise and bless you, Lord… through Jesus, my Lord and Savior, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment