Monday, August 18: 2Kings 17- The law of consequences.

At first I was simply reading this chapter for information and content. But as the story unfolded, my heart grew heavy… it was the account of God’s judgment of the northern kingdom. His people had forsaken Him. God had sent prophets to call them home (13) but they refused to listen. And that’s what gave my heart the heaviness.

All this took place because the Israelites had sinned against the LORD their God, who had brought them up out of Egypt from under the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt. They worshiped other gods and followed the practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before them, as well as the practices that the kings of Israel had introduced. The Israelites secretly did things against the LORD their God that were not right. From watchtower to fortified city they built themselves high places in all their towns (7-9).

I was surprised that the Israelites tried to fool God by “secretly” doing things.

Can we hide from God? Can we do things that God cannot see? NO. The Lord knows and sees all things. We cannot hide from God. Oh, we may fool ourselves into thinking that God does not see us.

How foolish we can be… thinking we can do things secretly where God cannot see?!?

Lord, my life is an open book before You. You see and know things about me that I may not even know or admit to myself! Show me, Lord… that I may repent and change my ways. I don’t want to be like Israel, I long to be faithful to You. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment