Tuesday, August 5: 2Kings 6- Serve, love, obey.

Accounts of the miracle man, Elisha, continue with three more dramatic events. I found myself wondering, “Why, Lord, are there all these accounts of Elisha, the prophet and miracle worker?”

Were they ‘proof’ that Elisha had received the double portion requested earlier?

Were they a validation of his prophetic ministry, over against the king who was against him? I cannot say for sure.

It is strange to me that even after the second miracle of capturing the Aram army, the king of Samaria doesn’t listen to and follow him (vv 24ff). Jesus’ comment that a prophet is without honor in his hometown seem to fit. Even though everyone, even the king of Aram, understands Elisha to be a prophet of God, the king of Israel will not submit to him! Defiance can blind us from truth.

Another thought I had was that being faithful, even being a faithful miracle-worker & prophet, doesn’t guarantee a warm reception from people, even the supposed people of God.

Kingdom service and obedience is due to our King –the Lord God Almighty. How people react is another matter entirely.

Serve Jesus, love the Father, obey the voice of the Spirit and leave the results to the Lord. Don’t worry about the reactions of others!

Lord, open my ears that I may hear You, clearly. Open my eyes that I may see what You are doing, clearly. Open my heart that I may follow You, wholeheartedly. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment