Monday, March 30: Luke 7- Same message; different response .

I was attracted to verses 29-30 as I read this chapter. I thought, some people are too smart for their own good. All the people, even the tax collectors, when they heard Jesus’ words, acknowledged that God’s way was right, because they had been baptized by John. But the Pharisees and the experts in the law rejected God’s purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.

The regular folk were drawing to Jesus. As they listened to Him they were attracted to Him and they acknowledged that God’s way was right. These are the same folk who had previously come to John and been baptized. That tells me something… they were humble enough to admit they needed help; they needed God! They faced their lives and then leaned into God.

Luke goes on to mention that Pharisees and the experts in the law rejected God’s way presented through John. Same message; different response. And these ‘learned-folk’ refused to be baptized by John and likewise rejected Jesus’ message.

I spent my morning pondering the difference between these two groups. Did it come down to humility, one group willing to face their failings and accept God’s grace and the other not willing?!

Was it that the ‘learned-people’ were too smart for their own good?  Could they not hear the simplicity of God’s message through John and Jesus because it wasn’t highbrow enough for them?

We will never really know the why.  What we do know is that some believed and others didn’t. And that is the same to this day. Some believe Jesus and others do not.

To which group do you belong?

I believe, and I am not afraid to admit it and to adjust my life to follow Jesus as He would have me follow Him. Will you join me in following Jesus?

Lord, as the songwriter prayed: I have decided to follow Jesus…

I have decided to follow Jesus…

I have decided to follow Jesus…

No turning back. No turning back.

Amen and Alleluia.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment