Tuesday, March 31: Luke 8- Fear can be so debilitating.

The reaction of the people of the Gerasenes to the man’s miraculous healing puzzles me. Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So he got into the boat and left (37).

I get it, that the whole demons into the pigs thing could have been a bit troubling, but to see a man in his right mind, dressed and acting normal. Wow ! I would think that would be great! As I re-read the verse I guess fear took over them.

That last line hit me as I typed it. Fear took over them and they missed the miracle and missed a perfect opportunity to meet Jesus. Was it fear of His power display? Fear of the unknown? Fear of having their own issues coming to light? We are not told. God apparently didn’t think it was important for us to know the specific fear. BUT God is quite clear that fear is at the root.

And this connects with me… I am wondering how often I allow fear to stop me from experiencing something new or great from Jesus. A healing, maybe? A new adventure God wants me to take? A new area of growth?

Fear can be so debilitating.

I am reminded of 1John 4:18, perfect love drives out fear…. I guess the antidote to fear is to drawer near to Jesus –perfect love –and allow Him to drive out any fear I may have.

Lord, help me to draw closer to You and to draw strength from You. I pray in Your name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment