Saturday, March 7: Hebrews 6- Hard questions... Real questions... Faith questions.

 

When I sit with the Word, I listen for God’s primary message. I am always trying to learn from the Lord. Sometimes in my devotional time God speaks to me through His primary message in the text. Other times it is a word, phrase or sentence that the Spirit uses to take me to my time with the Lord. Devotions are a blessed time with God.

Today God’s primary teaching also became my ‘devotional nugget’ that plugged me into the Spirit of God.

We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised (11-12). 

Diligence, don’t become lazy, imitate those with patience… These are strong words about burrowing into God, His teachings and His way of living.  And living to please the Lord, not worrying about how people outside of the faith might perceive you.

I started reflecting on my life…where am I different than ‘plain old anybody’ and where am I the same? This opened the door for me to see myself in a less varnished and more ‘real’ way.

There are many places where I am like everybody else. Some are no big deal. I eat, sleep, bathe, etc., like everybody else. But then there are the ways of everybody else that suck my time and finances and thoughts that could be used to pursue God or do works for God rather than self. It is very easy for me to become selfish.

Verse 10 immediately before the words I began with reads: God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. I began to probe myself again. What works and love have I shown the Lord by helping His people? Am I continuing to help them or am I all about myself?

Hard questions. Real questions. Faith questions.

Lord, help me to stay with these thoughts as I enter today… in Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment