Saturday, March 21: Psalm 36- To know God.

My heart feasted on verses 5-9…

Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the highest mountains, your justice like the great deep. You, LORD, preserve both people and animals. How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

I read it once, twice, three times…

I love the movement back and forth from “your” statements to “you” statements. David was not only singing of the wonder and greatness of the Lord, he was speaking directly to the Lord. The personal nature of the “yous” particularly grabbed me. You, Lord, preserve (6)… You give them [people who know you] drink (8)… with you is the fountain of life (9). It’s the connection of these statements, coupled with the wonderful descriptions of the Lord that drew me in.

To know of and to know God is a wonderful thing. David lived both and that is what I seek. I seek to know about God in His fullness and to know the Lord in His fullness. To know, not only know the text, but to know the God of the text.   To know the Scriptures, which tell me about God, and to know God who wrote the Scriptures.  To read, study and know the wonders of God’s self-revealing Word and to experience the realties of the Lord in my life that I read about in His Scripture.

Lord God, I think I have just written my prayer to know of You, to know about You and to know and experience You in all Your fullness. This is my prayer… prayed in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment