Thursday, March 5: Hebrews 4- Why I read God's word regularly.

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account (12-13).

These words are absolutely true. The Word penetrates and shows me where my thoughts, actions and attitudes are off. It gives me God’s perspective on life, which in turn shows me where I am wrong.  The Word corrects my crooked thinking and helps me to think straight.

Check out this bullet point statement from the above: For the word of God is alive and active…  it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

And this is why I spend time in God’s Word regularly. It anchors me to God’s reality. It counteracts the patterns and ways of the world that press on me and surround me all the time.

I read the Word, I listen to the Word, and I seek to follow the Word because it is God’s Word, revealing God’s thoughts and ways.

As a Christ-follower my highest desire is to follow Jesus and live how He would have me live. And the only way I know how to do that is to pay attention to God’s Word.

The writer of Hebrews is so right…

Lord God, thank You for providing Your Word to me and to the world. I pray for the men and women who are translating Your Word into every language humans speak. I thank you for ministries like YouVersion Bible on the internet which publishes for free every or most every Bible translated in the world (www.youversion.com). Lord, I pray that Your Word is translated into all the languages of the world so people can hear Your Word in their heart language and be drawn to You.

Though Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment