Friday, June 5: 1Corinthians 5- Do not judge outside the church.

The ethics, morals, lifestyles and behaviors of our world seem to be changing at warp speed. Behaviors that would never have been tolerated or condoned 2 decades ago are commonplace today. It is a constant struggle to remain faithful to Jesus and His ethic as our world moves further and further away from Jesus’ way.

What are we to do???

It seems to me that this chapter says we –those who love and follow Jesus –should tow the line of God’s Word. But at the same time, we should not expect people who do not follow Jesus and believe God’s Word, to do likewise.

It seems to me that what we are witnessing in our world is the natural erosion process. As fewer and fewer people profess trust in God’s inspired Word and discipleship of Jesus, we are seeing society shaped by the relative norms of the world rather than God’s will and way. These changes may be uncomfortable, but they shouldn’t be surprising. As Paul says, What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? (12).

The world will do what the world will do. I can speak my voice, but not judge!

It will likely become more uncomfortable for me to live up to God’s standards, rather than the world standards, but that is my calling as a Christ-follower.

The Lord never said that following Jesus would be easy; it never has been and it never will be, this side of eternity.

Lord, I pray for grace to remain true to You, to hold myself and the church to Your high standards while at the same time NOT judging people who are not part of Your church. Lord, help me, please, with this so that I might live as a loving light for You in my world. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment