Saturday, June 27: 2Corinthians 6- Unequally Yoked.

I was on an extended trip to West Africa when I sat for my devotions after a long day of travel. Reading chapter 6 verses 14-18 struck me.

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.”

Therefore,

“Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.”

And,

“I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty” (14-18).

I found myself chewing on these verses, particularly the opening salvo. Paul is quite direct and strong. Don’t be yoked to unbelievers… what do they have in common, what harmony or fellowship do they have with unbelievers, he counsels.

The key is the meaning of yoked… I know from 1Cor 5:9-10 that Paul does not mean that we are never to associate with unbelievers. In that case we would have to leave the world, Paul says in 1Cor5:10. Additionally, I need only recall yesterday’s devotion about being ambassadors for Christ! So he is certainly forbidding some other relationship, one of deep connection.

At this point I was interrupted to eat dinner.

And after dinner I found myself amongst a group of Christians from across Africa. I didn’t know any of their names and, yet, as they sang praises to God and read the Bible together I was instantly connected to them. It hit me, I can never have this kind or depth of connection with an unbeliever. My inner spirit will never resonate with theirs like mine did tonight with these other Christ followers.

As I mentally wandered back to the verses above, it hit me that I must never put myself in a relationship where I will be forced to choose between my relationship with the unbeliever and my God. That, it seems to me, is what Paul is meaning when he used the word ‘yoked together’.

I began to search through my relationships.  Are there any that would lead me away for Jesus?  This is my take away tonight as I meditate and pray.

Lord, fidelity to You is of utmost importance. May every relationship I have draw me closer to you. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment