Tuesday, June 2: 1Corinthians 2- Where is the power.

After reading the sentences that make up verses 4-5, I found myself wondering what the community of faith and what evangelism and preaching looked like for Paul, compared to what I see in the 21st century.

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power (4-5).

Most of us live in a reason-driven world. I know I do. I found myself recalling some book titles that have been guided me and generations of believers:

Know Why You Believe, Paul Little

Evidence That Demands a Verdict, Josh McDowell

A Case for Christ, Lee Strobel

These are evidence based books. Know the facts and Christianity makes sense. Don’t mistake where I am wrestling this morning. Evidence is fine, even good. But go back and read what Paul wrote again, I have multiple times…

My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power (4-5).

We have the facts, but where is the power, I mused?

We have the wise and persuasive words week after week in worship but where is the power?

We have the touching, engaging, worship songs but where is the power?

Where is the power that changes lives?  Where is the power that overrides logic and causes the skeptic to cry, I believe? That bolsters the faithful, reminding them why I believe in God; a big, awesome God.

I thought and mused and wondered.  Where is the power Paul writes about???

O, God, my heart yearns for both sides of the equation… the power Paul speaks of, as well as the message of wisdom that comes from Yo,u God (6-8).

Lord, am I selfish to want it all… for the sake of a healthy, alive, reaching out, drawing in church here where I live and spreading out around this earth to every corner land, language and tongue. Fill Your church, Lord God, with ALL OF YOU. I pray. And start right here with me… Amen and Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment