Saturday, June 20: Psalm 46- .

The opening of this Psalm immediately put me at peace. Actually these words touch me like this every time I read them. Whatever anxieties I may be carrying, whatever pressure or even oppression I might be experiencing, this Psalm, and particularly the opening 3 verses, breathe life into me.

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.

I have lived near the ocean most of my life. I have seen waves churn and crash, propelled by powerful storms. I have lived through life-storms and been awash in confusion, doubt, fear, and anger as people I thought I could trust betrayed me. I have wondered, “What will I do?”  My calling and career seems to be crashing and burning…  

And yet, through it all, God was my refuge and my strength. God was present as trouble smashed against me. Despite confusion and wondering about what was going to be, I knew God was with me and I knew I need not fear.

These words touch an existential place in my life and they breathe life into me. And they do so every time I read them. I suspect they did so for the Psalmist and have done so for millions of the Lord’s people over the millennia.

Today, even though I am not in a stormy period of life, as I set eyes on these verses and read them, a deep and abiding peace washes over and into my life yet again.

I pray they do the same for you as well…

Lord, I am awed by You, Your care, Your love, Your presence. How sweet it is to recognize Your presence.

You, O Lord, are my refuge and strength. You, O Lord, are always a help in times of trouble. And because of You and Your presence, I will not fear. I need not fear because my life is in Your hands. And no matter what happens, that is a safe place to be. Alleluia. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment