Wednesday, June 3: 1Corinthians 3- Grow up.

As I regularly do, I sat and mused over the chapter after reading it. I glanced up and down wondering what portion would cut its way into my inner self. After a few moments two words charged through my thoughts, Grow Up. Stop being a child, an infant. These were the verses that dug into my heart.

Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? (1-3).

So often I (we) define spiritual as people who have a rich and deep prayer life. They seem to pray about everything. Or maybe it is the person who can quote a Scripture for every occasion. Maybe it is the preacher who can speak eloquently week after week, or that missionary that lives in some far away land, or the super Christian like Billy Graham or Mother Teresa. And while all of them may be examples of maturity, Paul suggests there is another dimension… our behavior.

Who were the immature and the worldly in verses 1-3? The people who gave jealousy and quarreling a foothold in their lives. They may have been the deepest prayers or even miracle workers or people with the gift of tongues or prophecy (this will emerge in chapters 12-14), but if they destroy the body by their poor interpersonal behavior, Paul calls them immature and worldly!

It hit me… do I get along with others in the body? Do I get along with others in my life? I flashed to Galatians 5:22-23 and the Fruit of the Spirit that Paul uses to describe the spiritual and mature in that letter… (Galatians 5:22-23: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.). People who exhibit these traits bring life to a community of people. Those who sow jealousy and quarreling, sow discord and destruction.

During my time with the Lord this morning, God said, “GROW UP, learn to live and play well with others. Build others up and stop worrying about yourself!”

This is my food from the Word for today.

Lord, God, point out to me today as I live throughout the day what it means to be mature and ‘grown up.’ Show me the behaviors of the mature… and help me gain them in my life. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment