Monday, June 8: 1Corinthians 7- There is more to life than the things of this world.

Sex, marriage, station in life, Paul addresses very practical concerns of everyday real life.

Does our faith in Jesus impact how we live? This, it seems to me, was the BIG overarching lesson of chapter 7. Does my faith in Jesus affect how I live from the bedroom to the office and everywhere in between?

I was fascinated by verses 29-31 and the concept of living if time is short. Paul wrote: What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

I have a house full of stuff.  What does it mean to live placing it all at God’s disposal? What does it mean for me to live ‘sold out’ to Jesus and advancing the Gospel near and far?

Paul is trying to make a point and seems to be speaking in extremes to make his point. I’m married. I don’t think Paul is saying to stop paying attention to my wife and life as if I were single. Earlier in the chapter he talked about not withholding sex from one another. It seems Paul is saying don’t get all enamored with this world; it is passing away.

For starters, I hear the Lord saying, “Don’t make this world and the things of this life my focus. Keep Jesus, the Father, and the Spirit my focus.”

Strong words. What does that mean as far as daily living? I have to chew on this throughout the day…

Lord, show me a few specifics.  What would You have me do, or change with my life? Speak to me, Lord. Lead me. Show me. In Jesus’ name and for the sake of the Gospel, I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment