Wednesday, June 10: 1Corinthians 9- Sold out to advance God's reign.

In yesterday’s chapter, Paul called us to moderate our behavior so that the way we live does not cause others to fall into sin. Today he writes about setting aside our rights in order to gain a hearing to present Jesus to as many people as possible.

To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings (20-23).

Paul’s example drives me to examine my life. It is not only how willing am I to orient my life to advance the Gospel... Paul’s life-example isn’t theoretical. No, Paul’s example is asking me how am I orienting my life to advance the Gospel?

Paul altered his behavior so his example wouldn’t cause a sister or brother to sin (chapter 8).  And, like a cross-cultural missionary, he altered his behavior so that he could fit in with others in order to share the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul lived a totally surrendered life advancing the Gospel in every way open to him.

How sold out am I to the name of Jesus and advance of His kingdom?  This is the ringing challenge I hear from God’s Word and Spirit today. I certainly don’t come close to Paul’s standard.

My life and calling is different, my circumstances are different and so are my times. However, at the heart-level of life things need not be different.

Am I (are you) sold out to God, Father, Son and Spirit?

Think about it.

O, God, I pray that in the spaces of time today that I have to muse and ponder that this question will those times. Lead me to know how to orient my life to advance Your Gospel near, far and everywhere in between.

O, God, I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment