Friday, July 10: Psalm 50- God speaks.

My immediate thought, as I opened and began reading, was God speaks. The Mighty One, God, the LORD, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to where it sets (1). We are blessed to have a God who speaks. He leads. He guides. He is not some mute idol or stone figurine. Our God is a living God who communicates.

As I continued reading I saw that, in this case, God’s speaking calls us to account. “Listen, my people, and I will speak; I will testify against you, Israel: I am God, your God (7). The judicial language sends terror up my spine. God, my judge, knows. He need not wait for others to testify against me, He Himself will testify against me. God sees the secret places of hypocrisy. Nothing in my life is hidden from Him.

Eventually God confronts duplicity and reveals our sin. But to the wicked person, God says: “What right have you to recite my laws or take my covenant on your lips? You hate my instruction and cast my words behind you (16-17). The Lord leaves no doubt that He sees… He names some of the sins, declaring that He truly does see and hear what we think are hidden.

This Psalm brings me to a place of confession…

I am thankful for New Testament promises like 1John 1:9 as I bow my head and life in confession… If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

As I woke this morning there was a song playing,

Lord, I need You; O I need You.

Every hour I need You.

My one defense, my righteousness, O Lord how I need You.

Lord, as I bow in prayer those words are so true. I dare not stand before You in my strength or goodness alone. Were I to do that, Your wrath would be heavy upon me. Instead I stand before You a sinner, blessed that my sins are covered and atoned for by the blood of Jesus, my Savior.

Lord, hear my confession… and purify me from all my transgressions so that I might lead a life that matters, that makes a difference for You in this world. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment