Thursday, July 9: Psalm 49- Assurance in death.

There is no escaping the inevitable… death will come to all of us. And there is no escaping thoughts of my own death someday as I read this Psalm.

The surety of one’s death is the theme of this Psalm, but this is no morbid look at death. Instead it is a reality check, a reminder that death comes to all of us.

And following the lead of this Psalmist, I entertained the reality that someday I, too, will die. Is that the end? Is the hole in which they place my body, my final resting place? When my body decays and returns to dust… is that it?

I believe not. My heart resonated with the assurance of the Psalmist, But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead; he will surely take me to himself (15). I believe this with all my heart. I believe that upon death God will take me to be with Him, not because I somehow deserve that because I have been so good. Nor do I believe this because God takes everyone to be with Him after death.

No, I believe this because Jesus promised that those who have faith in Him will be raised from death to life for eternity. My assurance of life after death is faith in Jesus…

The New Testament teaches me that faith in Jesus gives us the assurance of resurrected life after death… so to Jesus I cling. In life and in death, I cling to Jesus.

What or whom do you cling to?

Think about it… because death is inevitable.

Lord God, I am so thankful and grateful that You guarantee my future resurrection. I am humbled and in awe of You… thankful for Your gift to believe. I worship, adore and serve You, God… Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit. I praise You and I pledge my life to You.

Lord, I am Your vessel, use me as You will, for Your honor, glory and the announcement of Your name in all the earth. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment