Saturday, July 4: 2Corinthians 12- Counter-cultural way to live.

In my world we strive for power, for recognition, for titles. We work hard to be strong and climb as high as we can.  Then we trust in ourselves and in our strength and abilities.

This morning Paul turns this way of thinking and living on its head.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong (9-10).

In Christ, our strength is in the Lord and what He can do in and through us. I do not believe for an instant that Paul is suggesting that we do not apply ourselves and learn our craft and grow in competencies. No, but I must remember that my real strength and ability is not in my own power but in God’s power within me…

This means I must be about God’s will. The Lord will not strengthen me for tasks that are not for His glory.

It means that I must operate in a Christ-like manner, because I do not believe that God will empower me to live in ways that are not His ways.

I believe this means that I should spiritually stretch myself… moving at His beckon call to places beyond where I feel naturally able to operate in His power.

God will do immeasurably more through us than we ever imagine if we live for His will and the advance of His glory.

Lord, I believe Your grace is sufficient for me and I pray that I will advance Your will with all my strength and then beyond that because I operate truly not in my strength but in Your strength. To Your honor and glory I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment