Tuesday, July 28: Mark 14- Faith in the face of God's 'No'.

I was drawn to Jesus praying in the garden, His agony and honesty with the Father and self. It was the record of His 3rd prayer time that really pierced me. “Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will” (36).

I stared at His last words: “everything is possible for you.… Yet not what I will, but what you will.”

Absolute faith and absolute surrender.

Jesus knew the Father could do anything… He knew He could do anything. One word from the Father or the Son and the ordeal Jesus was about to endure would end. The answer to Jesus’ throbbing heart’s cry was not a matter of ability. God could do it.

And yet, at the same time, Jesus knew the Father’s answer was ‘No, I will not intervene’. This is the course of things that Jesus must walk for salvation’s plan to be fulfilled. He had been preparing his disciples for weeks now the day was coming. So with the same steadfastness Jesus showed with his absolute faith he offered absolute surrender. Yet not what I will, but what you will.

I don’t have as direct a pipeline to the Father as Jesus had. And I certainly do not have the clarity of prayers answered, especially before the prayer is prayed, that Jesus had. So with me it is even more important to maintain the firm stance of absolute faith and absolute surrender displayed by Jesus.

Absolute faith... God can do all; He is mighty to save… and

Absolute surrender... I will not waver no matter God’s reply. My faith is not built on a particular outcome.

Paul displayed this with his prayer about the ‘thorn in his flesh’ (2Cor 12:8-10). The three friends of Daniel displayed this as they stepped into the fiery furnace (Daniel 3: 17-18)…

O, God, may I display this every day of my life until You bring me home to be with You in eternity forever. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment