Monday, July 27: Mark 13- The end will come.

In today’s reading Jesus gives a long answer about when the ‘end will come.’ His last few lines give the punch line. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.… “Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’ ” (33-37).

There will be an end… there will be a judgment and we will all stand before our Maker and answer for our lives. As I ponder this, it doesn’t truly matter to me if my end is merely the day I die or the cosmic end of things, someday I will stand before the Lord and He will judge me.

Until the end I need to be about my Master’s business… do not let him find you sleeping. The message in context is that when He comes (or my time comes), I better be attending to the tasks He gave me. I am an ambassador, a witness, light & salt, etc. I have been called to love and serve, to care for and extend God’s reign here on earth…

As I sit this morning, it seems like the best way I ‘prepare for the end’ is to make sure I am doing God’s work today. If I am engaged in God’s work today, and all of my todays, then I will be ready whenever the end comes.

Lord, God, lead me today in the things I should do, so that I am faithful to You today.  Then, Lord, help me have this same attitude and pray this same prayer every day. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment