Wednesday, July 22: Mark 9- Awe inspiring.

I wondered what I would have been like to be on the mountain when Jesus’ appearance changed and a voice from heaven spoke. I suspect I would have been frightened and confused. Nothing in the story indicates that Jesus prepped the 3 for this event. It just happened.

This is the kind of a scene you see in a sci-fi movie, where the person morphs in front of you into something different. It would be scary. At least that's what I think as a read this account.

Then there is the appearance of Moses and Elijah.  Then the voice from the cloud. I would have been babbling nonsense like Peter or petrified silent like James and John.

As I think about this scene and faith, I’m realizing there are things about Jesus that are frightening.  It not so much like I’m frightened, I might die, as if a gang of thugs just broke into my house.  But I’m frightened because I don’t understand this man in front of me whom I know can do things a human can’t do… walk on water, calm a storm, raise a dead person to life, change water into wine. I mean, normal people don’t do these things. And, yet, Jesus did.

I am realizing that there is an awe, a perplexed awe, a fear that I should have for Jesus that is healthy and honorable and right.

These are my thoughts this morning as I sit with text and Savior in devotions…

O, Jesus, help me to understand what I am able to understand, trust and accept what I cannot understand, and always to revere and serve You as my Lord and my God. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment