Monday, July 20: Mark 7- Talking with people about the ways of God.

I was fascinated the way Mark relates Jesus’ story to his readers, who are likely mostly Gentiles living in Rome. There are two times where Mark inserts a brief comment to explain a Jewish tradition noted in the NIV by parenthesis. Verses 3-4 where Mark explains the Jewish washing of hands… (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.) And again in verse 12 where he explains Corban (that is, devoted to God).

As I mused on these brief inclusions, I though, “Mark is a master at telling Jesus’ story to his audience.” What I noticed is that when needed he included a brief statement about some cultural item they wouldn’t understand, but then quickly returns back to telling Jesus’ story in a way that connects with his readers.

This blossomed into thinking about talking with people about the ways of God. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in giving Christian background, correct theology and the rest.  I overwhelm them with information about which they don’t really care! And what I miss is telling the simple story of Jesus in a way that they can easily understand.

Mark is much more concerned about telling Jesus’ story in a way that his readers get it than making sure they have all the correct background. The other thought that hit me is, he spoke in plain language. I have to beware of using “Christian-ese” or “Christian-speak” when talking with people about Jesus who don’t know much about Him.  

Dear God, thank you for this simple word and instruction this morning. Help me to internalize it and live it as I live for You in my world. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment