Thursday, July 23: Mark 10- Value of a life.

I was attracted to a brief vignette in this chapter. It begins in verse 13. People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them (13-16).

Children’s value back in the day was not equal to that of an adult. Children were lower-value humans.  In some ways we have come so far on this issue, but in others not so much.

Admittedly a stretch from this passage, but I found myself pondering how we minimize children in our world. I believe abortion is a cancer on our valuing of children. Many might disagree with me but for me, life begins at conception.  Therefore, the so called fetus is a child and should be valued. To steal its life is certainly not valuing.

There are many other ways I see that we devalue the life of a child subtly…

How many of our birthing practices are designed to make the mom more comfortable rather than asking what is best for the child?

How is it that schools continue to begin their day so early, when study after study shows that is not best for children or their education?

Is the advent of preschool really to better the child or so parents can return to their careers?

What about the anesthetizing effect of screens on children?

I realize some of my thoughts may seem harsh, maybe they are… I am simply wondering if we truly value children equally with how we value adults in our age.

If Jesus were coming to town today, wouldn’t we arrange daycare and child-friendly activities to keep the children out of the event so adults could have Jesus’ time? Isn’t that what the disciples were doing? Isn’t that why Jesus rebuked them?

Think about it. I know I am…

Lord, how do I devalue people and kinds of people? Open my eyes, Lord. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment