Friday, July 3: 2Corinthians 11- A true disciple's resume.

When needing to ‘defend’ his apostleship, Paul boasts… to match the boasting of the so-called super apostles, who were really false apostles. What struck me was the aspects of ministry that he boasted about. I suspect Paul’s boasts were quite different, even opposed to the boasting of the super apostles.

It is not that Paul regularly boasted about his ministry. He didn’t. Normally his only boasting was in the cross of Christ, his Lord (Galatians 6:14a May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ) but to counter the dangerous influence of these false apostles Paul needed to counter their boasting with his own.

Paul, then, boasts about sufferings and hardships he endured for the sake of the Gospel. Paul mentions that he supported himself and had other churches cover his living rather than burden the Corinthians with supporting him. In essence he said, ‘I preached free of charge’.

As God’s Word burrowed into my thoughts and heart, I replayed typical pastor conversations at conferences. How large our church is, how big the budget, how many converts, staff members, visitors, yada, yada, yada…

My thought is that these conversations sound much more like the boastings of the false super apostles, than they do Paul.

Now I do not think we should boast at all, except in the cross of Christ, our Savior and Lord, but in the quietness of my devotions this morning I am wondering if I have a resume of devotion that is akin at all to Paul’s.  Are there any places were I have truly sacrificed for Jesus, the Gospel or the advance of God’s kingdom? Reading back over Paul’s list, it confronts me with costly sacrificial effort in the name of Christ. And I see nothing that comes even remotely close in my life.

I feel some shame and sadness rising in me…

Lord, I am finding words difficult right now. You gave everything for me. Philippians 2, Jesus, You left the glory of heaven and the perfection and majesty of the Godhead to become human… and to die on a cross for me, for the world. What have I given to follow You?

The weight of this thought presses upon me. All I can do is bow in adoration before You and pledge my life a new to You. Praise to You Father, Jesus, Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment