Friday, January 22: Genesis 11- Life stories.

I found myself thinking about telling our stories. As I was reading this chapter I noticed in verse 10 that the lineage of Shem is named, Arphaxad, who was born 2 years after the flood. From this point on in life no one will have a personal memory of pre-flood days. Only telling and retelling and recording stories will keep the memory of pre-flood life alive.

How easily we can loose corporate memory. My grandparents died when I was young, I have scant few personal memories and very little was told about them in my family. Their stories of early 20th century life are virtually gone.

The same can happen to stories of faith and faithfulness. If we don’t keep the stories alive they will fade. Had Moses not recorded the few pre-flood stories in the Bible and the accounts of his ancestors prior to his birth, they would have been lost.

Had the apostles not given us the Gospels would we remember the saving work of Jesus today?

Telling life’s stories is a gift for generations to come. We can tell the grand stories and moments of the faith and our minor melodies of living out our faith. Telling God’s story and our story within His story (history J) helps keep the gift of faith alive…

What stories can you keep alive today?...

Lord, thank You for preserving Your story. I have faith today because You kept Your story alive and a friend shared Your story with me. Give me the grace to keep Your story going… that the world might know that Jesus is alive.

I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment