Thursday, January 21: Genesis 10- A whole bunch of names.

Well, there was no actions in my reading today, just a whole bunch of names. I sat wondering, “What do I do with a list of names? Where is the Lord in the midst of this???”

There was no immediate flash, no brilliant moment of inspiration. There was a growing sense that God was with me.

As I read, the list of names was senseless… by senseless I mean it didn’t grab my senses, much the way a list of statistics or numbers or a sea of faces can be senseless.

And yet to God those senseless names were individuals. God knew each person’s DNA. God knew their first day and their last day and each one in between. God knew siblings, parents, children, grandchildren and so on for each one. Where my eyes blurred over in boredom, God knew individuals.

Knowing a name and a story makes a BIG difference. I watched TV in horror as the World Trade Towers fell on Sept 11, 2001. I lived in Ohio at the time and NY seemed far away. A friend from Connecticut saw the smoke billowing from his hometown and attended 13 funerals, people he knew who died that day. In the 9-11 tragedy I saw a sea of faces; my friend saw personal friends.

Knowing and being known is a powerful connection.

In a flash I realized as the people in this chapter were known by God, so I am known. God knows my name… The words of Tommy Walker’s song sprang in my memory:

I have a Maker

He formed my heart

Before even time began

My life was in his hands

 

I have a Father

He calls me His own

He'll never leave me

No matter where I go

 

[Chorus]

He knows my name

He knows my every thought

He sees each tear that falls

And He hears me when I call

Check it out if you want to hear him sing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrAqE_tSmo

Lord, it feels good to be reminded that I am known by You this morning. I thank You for that. When I feel lonely You are with me. In fact, You are always with me. You never have and never will forsake me. Thank You Lord, God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment