Wednesday, January 20: Genesis 9- The image of God.

In the strictest way possible God says murder is forbidden, which will be codified later in the 6th Commandment. The Lord tells Noah and his clan,

Whoever sheds human blood, by humans shall their blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made mankind (6).

There is a loud discussion regarding the death penalty in my world these days. While I hold that in the background as I muse on this verse, I am drawn to the statement that the image of God is imbedded in humanity.

This is a profound thought. You and I display the image of God. No wonder Jesus expanded murder to include verbal violence (see Matthew 5:21-22). When we destroy another human being’s life, we have attacked the image of God. Isn’t this an attack on God Himself?

My country is growing more and more violent… in action and in speech. Defaming rhetoric pierces the election campaign and offensive comments fill the airwaves. It is commonplace to attack those who think, act or look different.

God must be weeping… God looks down and sees His image in all of us and as we fight and bicker we attack His image.

Our lack of care for the less fortunate is another way we disregard the image of God in others. We are making a mess of God’s creation.

My thoughts run from the generic to the specific…

How do I participate in this desecration of the image of God in other human beings? …

O, God, show me. O, Lord, open my eyes to my sin and failure to honor other people simply because they are endowed with the image of God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment