Tuesday, January 26: Genesis 14- The power of family.

I know there is much more going on in this story, but Abram’s rescue of Lot calls out to me about the power of family… the good, positive and redeeming power of family.

Abram risks everything to save his nephew Lot. At the present time, Lot is Abram’s closest male relative so maybe Lot felt more like a son than a nephew. This last bit is speculation.

Nephew or surrogate son, Abram risks everything to rescue Lot.

I would do whatever I could to help my family, especially my children, if they fell on hard times. I cannot imagine doing less than everything I could for their best.

It hit me, this is the way God treats His family. When we were in trouble, when sin had us by the neck and God’s enemy was carrying us away, the Lord came to our rescue. But unlike Abram’s ‘happily-ever-after’ ending, our rescue cost God the supreme sacrifice, the life of His one and only Son, Jesus.

Jesus died on the cross rescuing us. Jesus gave His life so that we could be redeemed. That is LOVE and that is precisely what God did for us to demonstrate His love for us (read John 3:16, Romans 5:8, 1John 4, etc.)

I traveled a winding trail this morning but it led me to a familiar place… the arms of my loving God and my Savior Jesus.

I hope you know those loving arms, too.

Thank You, Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit for all You did to rescue me and the world You created. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment