Monday, January 4: Psalm 85- A two-edged prayer for my land.

As today’s Psalm drew to its conclusion, I found myself praying it for my country and my world…

I will listen to what God the LORD says;

he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants—

but let them not turn to folly.

Surely his salvation is near those who fear him,

that his glory may dwell in our land.

Love and faithfulness meet together;

righteousness and peace kiss each other.

Faithfulness springs forth from the earth,

and righteousness looks down from heaven.

The LORD will indeed give what is good,

and our land will yield its harvest.

Righteousness goes before him

and prepares the way for his steps (8-13).

This is a two-edged prayer… while I long for and pray for the love, peace, goodness and blessings in the final 4 verses, I must also pray for (and work toward) the call to reject folly and return to faithfulness embedded in this Psalm.

I want God’s blessing on my homeland, but can I expect God’s blessing if we, as a nation, are living in ways that are antithetical to His ways?

People in every time and every land want the blessing of God but without the responsibility to live in ways that honor Him.

And this leads me right back to prayer…

Lord, I pray for myself, the people of my country and people of the world… break us of our wanton sinfulness and bring us home to You.

Help me this year to live more faithfully to You and in so doing, share Your way with others. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment