Friday, December 23: 2Corinthians 2- .

We are in the middle of the holiday season, Thanksgiving through New Year. What a joy this time of year is…festive, social and full of delicious foods we don’t enjoy much the rest of the year. I love walking in the house from the outside to smell turkey roasting in the oven, or the aroma of fresh baked cookies cooling in the kitchen, or the hint of cinnamon in hot apple cider. Add to that the pine scent of a Christmas trees or the crackling sound and smell of a roaring fire. Wonderful aromas fill the air this time of year.

I also love the way Paul says that we are to be the pleasing aroma of Christ in the world.

For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ

among those who are being saved and those who are perishing (15).

I allowed that imagery to dance in my thoughts for a while…

What does it mean that our lives are to be a pleasing aroma? Thoughts that spring to mind…

·         Christians’ presence should make life more pleasant.

·         We should remind people of good things.

·         We should mask the stench of decay and violence.

·         We should put a smile on faces.

·         Our presence (influence) should permeate all the corners of the world like a kitchen aroma can waft through the entire house.

This is a tall order. Also, it is something that is just happens as we live. You don’t roast a turkey to fill the house with aroma, the aroma is a pleasant result of cooking. Our living should leave behind the pleasurable result of our life.

I am thinking about how I am living.  Does a pleasant aroma follow where I have lived? How about you???

Lord, may my life bring comfort to many. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment