Tuesday, December 27: 2Corinthians 5- Begin with the End in Mind.

About a month ago I took part in a parenting seminar with my wife.  We tried to layout some overarching thoughts before we spoke about specific parenting issues, like discipline, responsibility, etc.

One of the Big Ideas we emphasized was Begin with the End in Mind. As I have thought about that phrase it is a pretty good Big Idea for many facets in life.

This morning I heard echoes of this Big Idea in Paul’s words to the Corinthians. So we make it our goal to please him [the Lord\, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad (9-10).

Paul lives life everyday mindful that someday he will stand before Jesus Christ face-to-face and have to answer for the way he lived. He lives with the end in mind.

I don’t get any sense from Paul that this is some morbid, ‘God is going to get me’ kind of life. Nor is this the only ‘End’ he keeps in mind, but this ‘End’ certainly informs him day to day.

My heart is stirring. I am hearing some godly wisdom through Paul’s words that can help guide my life… “Bill, keep in mind someday you will face the Lord and be accountable for how you lived.”

I wonder how this will guide me today?

Lord, I long to hear those words of Matthew 25 as I make the transition from this life to eternity, “Well done, good and faithful servant. Come and enter your Father’s happiness.” This word from Paul is helpful to guide and lead me there.

Jesus, help me to honor and live by this world. I pray in Your name. Amen. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment