Friday, June 23: 1Kings 8- The worship of God with His family is a precious gift.

As I read and re-read this chapter I found myself thinking about how the people must have felt during the pageantry and wonder of the Temple dedication. The ark and a tent-sanctuary had been Israel’s for centuries since their exodus from Egypt, but now they would have a temple… a permanent home for the Lord in their land. How wonderful…

Then there was Solomon’s prayer and all the sacrifices.  What an event! The writer makes a closing comment: On the following day [Solomon] sent the people away. They blessed the king and then went home, joyful and glad in heart for all the good things the LORD had done for his servant David and his people Israel (66). The bolded words caught my attention…

That, I thought, is how it should be for people as they head out after worship each and every time the family of God gathers. We leave for home joyful and glad in heart for all the good things the LORD had done…

The Lord is the same, yesterday, today and forever! (Hebrews 13:8). When Believers gather in the Lord’s name, whether in cathedral or hut, sanctuary or storefront, God is present and His glory fills our gathering… the same glory that filled the temple.

I hope and pray that you experience the Lord’s presence and power when you gather with others in His name.  I hope and pray that your hearts are joyful and glad when it is time to go home. It is for me. The worship of God with His family is a precious gift!

Oh, God, thank you for manifesting Yourself during worship. You are real and You are good.  My heart dances in joy because of Your faithfulness. Halleluiah. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment