Wednesday, June 14: 2Samuel 24- Owning my sin.

 

This is a strange account… with some hard to process thoughts.

I choose to ponder this chapter through the eyes of David. From somewhere deep within, David allows sin to blossom and against all advice he counts his fighting men. After the deed is done –it takes over nine months, inferring that David let the sin fester and linger for a loooong time –he is conscience stricken and begs God for mercy.

This shows me it is never too late to seek the Lord’s forgiveness and mercy. As long as we have breath we have an opportunity for mercy. The Lord never closes someone off from His love. But neither will He compel us, but when we turn for home, God comes a running…

The Lord grants David’s desire and offers him a choice of punishment. David throws himself directly upon the Lord... a sinner in the hands of a merciful God.

As God’s plague approached Jerusalem, the Lord opens David’s eyes to see what is happening and the weight of his sin drives him to even deeper confession…

When David saw the angel who was striking down the people, he said to the LORD, “I have sinned; I, the shepherd, have done wrong. These are but sheep. What have they done? Let your hand fall on me and my family” (17). Here is a heart truly broken. Here is a man in the hand of the Lord.

I don’t know if I have ever seen my sin as clearly as David saw his that day. I don’t know if I have ever faced the deep and dire consequences of my sins as David did that day. I don’t know if I have ever sinned with such corporate consequence as David did that day. I also wonder if I have ever owned my sin as honestly as David did that day…

Lord, I don’t want to face an ordeal like David did. I am not a world leader or a leader of Your people as David was. Nonetheless, I am sorry for my sins and the pain I have cause You and others in my life. Unlike David, I praise You, Jesus, for taking the weight of my sin and guilt on Your back. I am free because You, Jesus, took my place and my guilt and my pain.

Oh, Oh Praise You, Jesus, My savior. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment