Saturday, June 10: 2Samuel 21- Age changes perspective.

Ten years ago I don’t think my heart would have lighted to the passage that jumped off the page to me this morning. Age changes perspective.

Once again there was a battle between the Philistines and Israel. David went down with his men to fight against the Philistines, and he became exhausted. And Ishbi-Benob, one of the descendants of Rapha, whose bronze spearhead weighed three hundred shekels and who was armed with a new sword, said he would kill David. But Abishai son of Zeruiah came to David’s rescue; he struck the Philistine down and killed him. Then David’s men swore to him, saying, “Never again will you go out with us to battle, so that the lamp of Israel will not be extinguished” (15-17).

Earlier in his life, David elected not to go out to war as kings do and it opened a door for sin. Now things have changed. David is older and he is no longer the warrior he used to be. Age is catching up with him. When battle almost costs David his life, his men say, “No More! NO longer will God’s anointed go to battle with us!” And David listens; his fighting days are over at least during the heat of battle.

It struck me that David trusted the counsel of his men and they could see what he was not willing to see. Still he listened and his kingdom was preserved because David was alive to rule.

A question grew inside of me, “Do I have someone(s) who can tell me when my skills are diminishing and it is time to hang up certain aspects of my life?”

Driving a car is a universal issue for aging people. Giving up one’s license is a BIG deal; it signals numerous changes and a loss of freedom and independence. Will you listen when the time come to give up your license? Will I? Have I cultivated relationships with people who can say to me, ‘it is time,’ without feeling like they might have to forfeit our relationship to do so?

David was man enough to understand life was changing…

Oh, God, I pray I will be such a man as well. I pray this in Jesus’name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment