Saturday, June 17: 1Kings 3- What would I ask for?.

What would I ask God for?

Solomon famously answered: So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” (9).

If I were offered the same opportunity as Solomon, I wonder how I would have answered. Without this account to show me a better way, I think I would have asked for money or security or something like that, something that would give me a ‘better’ life.

Lord, does this show that I am more selfish than Solomon, or is it a reflection of something else?  Lord what is it You would want to give me, or desire that I ask for?

This is truly the crux of the devotional matter. What would You hope I would ask for?

Since my life trajectory is not to be king of Israel, maybe Your best for me is not wisdom to discern and the ability to govern. Maybe Your desire for me would be passion for Your Gospel or a deep desire to teach and train Your people. I’m not certain what You would desire for me. But I am certain that that it would involve Your kingdom. Jesus taught: But seek first his [God’s] kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well (Matthew 6:33).

Lord, I don’t have to wait for some dream from You to make this my hope and desire. I can pray for this right now and make it a regular prayer of my heart.  Lord, I pray for a deep desire to seek You and Your kingdom first all of my days. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment