Thursday, June 22: 1Kings 7- You cannot serve God and self.

The temple was a glorious house built for the Lord. The gold overlay and all the bronze items, including the massive sea, would certainly draw ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaahs.’ The glory Solomon was directing Godward was impressive.

However, I cannot read this chapter without noting verse 1: It took Solomon thirteen years, however, to complete the construction of his palace. What can be lost is that the final verse of chapter 6 notes that it took 7 years to build the Temple.

Yesterday I noted, “We humans build. What we build often shows our priorities and our vanities.” Absolutely Solomon was honoring the Lord greatly, but he was also honoring himself in the building of the palace. David had it in his heart to build the temple and gave Solomon the specs, but the palace was all Solomon’s. His self-aggrandizement was beginning to show.

I am back to thoughts about what I seek to build.

Building is one element of human legacy.  So as I sit with the Lord this morning, He brings me to thoughts about my legacy.  What are my dreams and hope?  More deeply, who do my dreams and hopes honor?  Do they honor me, my family or my Lord God?

David, with all his faults, deep down inside wanted to honor the Lord.  Solomon it seems had much more self-motivation inside. What about me? At my deepest self, is it the Lord or me I want to honor?  Jesus said, You cannot serve both God and mammon (Matthew 6:24, Luke 16:13). In a similar vein, You cannot serve both God and self.

So God is pricking and prodding my ‘hidden’ inner motives today as I sit with Him. Gentle, yet steady and firm, is the Lord’s examination!

Oh, God, send me Your results and show me Your treatment plan to make my heart more dedicated to You and less to me. I pray with John the Baptist, may You increase and I decrease… even within me! I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment