Monday, June 5: 2Samuel 16- Allowing God time to build our character.

I am amazed how humble David is. He knew God had anointed him. He certainly could have entered this episode with a puffed out chest and a touch of arrogance. But not David…

When Shemei verbally attacked David, David took the tongue lashing insults and pelting with rocks with grace, answering those who wanted to harm Shemei strongly. But the king said, “What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? If he is cursing because the LORD said to him, ‘Curse David,’ who can ask, ‘Why do you do this?’ ” David then said to Abishai and all his officials, “My son, my own flesh and blood, is trying to kill me. How much more, then, this Benjamite! Leave him alone; let him curse, for the LORD has told him to. It may be that the LORD will look upon my misery and restore to me his covenant blessing instead of his curse today” (10-12).

David gave this answer in the midst of duress fleeing for his life.

When we are under pressure (tired or sick), those are times when we often do not operate to the best of our character. However, David is showing extraordinary grace and humility. This speaks to me all the more loudly that David is a man after God’s own heart.

How does a person grow a heart so faithful and strong? I wish there were some quick 3 step plan to faithfulness. But there isn’t. It grows as the result of years of faith-filled living.

David had been faithful in little… shepherding his father’s flocks.

David had been faithful with much… his years as king in Hebron and now Jerusalem.

David had been faithful in maintaining his connection with the Lord… writing psalms and praising the Lord with lyre and song.

David had remained faithful even after sin… seeking forgiveness and accepting the Lord’s rebuke.

Over the years his heart grew strong… so in this time of duress the character God had formed in him came out.  The character God had formed in David was now David’s baseline character.

If I want to be a man of godly character then I, too, must be faithful in all seasons, allowing the Lord to work in my life and transform my heart into one that mimics His in good times and in troubled times…

Lord, continue to form me… work on me so that I grow to be a man after Your own heart. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment