Tuesday, June 6: 2Samuel 17- What do I need to engender loyalty?.

The silent hand behind this account is the Lord, who is answering David’s prayer to frustrate the plans of Ahithophel. Absalom’s uprising is part of God’s judgment upon David for his Bathsheba-sin, but God never removed His hand from David.  So today’s story is also an account of God working His will in the life of David. God can and does regularly work many angles at one time.

Even more than the silent hand of God working throughout this story I was struck by how many people were willing to risk their lives for David. Hushai, who schemed to thwart Ahithophel’s advice, along with the priests Zadok and Abiathar and their two sons who risked their lives to tell David the plans of Absalom.  Then there was the woman who hid the priests’ sons as they were escaping from Jerusalem to go to David. Each of these people, and likely others, put their lives in mortal danger to help David.

What respect, love and devotion David garnered from people around him. He must have been quite the leader and man of God to cultivate such loyalty.

I wondered if my character was such that I would engender even half the loyalty, love and devotion David did.

What elements of my character do I need to be developing to be a man like David? Such were my thoughts this morning in God’s Word…

Create in me, Oh God, a man of character, a man of love and a man of devotion to You. May my life shine reflecting You in my life, like the moon reflects the light of the sun. May my life point others to You, Jesus, Lord, and giver of life. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment