Saturday, July 22: 2Kings 11- Who do you turn to when you need advice?.

How can one possibly reign as king over a land when you are only 7 years old? Answer. A person cannot truly reign at age seven, unless you have a trusted advisor, who can counsel you and guide you as you lead the people.

Joash’s story shows me two things. One, God is faithful. God said that there would never cease to be a king in the line of David on the throne. Athaliah thought she had destroyed all the heirs, but God preserved one, Joash. Through the faithfulness of Jehosheba, daughter of the former king and Jehoida the priest, Joash was hidden in the temple for six years. For six years these two hid the young crown prince from his grandmother who usurped authority. These two leaders, and those who cared for the infant prince, risked their lives daily to preserve the Davidic lineage. The Lord preserved their labors, protecting them and hiding Joash from his power hungry grandmother. Through all of this intrigue, God remains faithful to the promise He made to David.

Two, the value of a wise advisor is incalculable. Jehoida, the priest, was a wise man who used his wisdom for the nation’s good rather than personal gain. There is no way that a seven year old could reign by himself, but with Jehoida at his side the nation was in good hands. Young or old a wise advisor is as valuable as pure gold.

Sliding across the centuries to today… the same two points from the text remain true. God is faithful. What He says in His Word will come true. God’s Word is solid and strong and I can build my life on the promises of His Word. Wise advisors are just as important to me at age 61 as they were for Joash at 7. None of us has all wisdom. Having people who can help me discern truth from error, the best from the good, etc., is a life saving gift.

Who do you turn to when you need advice? This is my question of the day…

Lord, thank You for the people You put around me. The elders at my church, the board members at PRMI ministry, my trusted friends and confidants who want me to succeed in the way of Jesus. Bless these people and give me a heart to listen to them and discern with them. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment