Wednesday, July 26: 2Kings 14- Pride comes before a fall.

The writer of Proverbs tells us that pride comes before a fall (16:18). That is certainly the case for Amaziah, king of Judah.

Amaziah was a good king who followed the way of his fathers and honored the Lord. But Amaziah was still human. And after he tasted a little success in battle he took on an enemy much bigger than he could handle. Amaziah was the one who defeated ten thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt and captured Sela in battle, calling it Joktheel, the name it has to this day. Then Amaziah sent messengers to Jehoash son of Jehoahaz, the son of Jehu, king of Israel, with the challenge: “Come, let us face each other in battle.” … Judah was routed by Israel, and every man fled to his home (7-8, 12).

Amaziah’s  mistake is one many of us make, we gain a bit of success and pride sweeps in. The next thing we know we are in over our heads and in trouble.

I wondered, where were his advisors and where were the strategic thinkers who helped him run his government?

Did he surround himself with ‘yes men’ who only told him what he wanted to hear? Or did he not have advisors at all? The text is silent so my mind swirls with wonderings.  No matter the reason, he made a ghastly error and Israel paid dearly for his arrogance.

I am wondering if I have advisors who can help me keep pride in check.  Do I have people who can speak truth into my life? Do you?

Think about it.

Lord, thank you for friends and associates who know me, listen to me and can guide me. Holy Spirit, speak to me.  When success comes, remind me it is by Your grace not greatness. Put Your words in the moths of people I trust, that I might follow Your lead and give all glory to You the Father and Jesus. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment