Monday, December 18: 1Peter 1- Our guaranteed inheritance.

After slogging through Song of Songs, 1Peter felt like a cool shower after a hard days work. It was refreshing simply to soak in the richness of the Gospel. Virtually every verse offered a truth worth meditating upon. In this vast sea of riches it was difficult to choose a verse or two for contemplation.

I decided to reread the chapter to bask one more time in it and to see if the Spirit brought any particular words to mind. He did, our inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade (4). God had secured for us an inheritance that will be unmatched and unrivaled by any worldly inheritance we could ever receive or even imagine.

Our inheritance being stored or kept for us in heaven is guaranteed by Christ’s work on the cross and the Spirit’s sanctifying work in all those who believe and are obedient to Jesus (see verse 2). Gift, wonderful gift from God.

And no matter what we might be going through here in this life, hardship or troubles of any kind (7) it cannot dim the wonderful inheritance that is ours. Alleluia!

I found myself being amazed and awed as I considered my (our) guaranteed inheritance.

I am traveling as I write and meditate this morning. Out my hotel window the city of Incheon has been coming into view as the morning dawns. With each passing moment the city becomes more and more clear… as if a Polaroid picture is developing in front of my eyes.

So, too, our inheritance guaranteed for us by the Lord... as I meditate upon it the gift and wonder and grandeur of our inheritance grows clearer and clearer. What a gift God has secured for us. In a world with few guarantees… except maybe death and taxes J… we, who are obedient to Jesus, have a secured inheritance that will last an eternity.

Oh, Lord God, I am feeling so blessed and so secure in You. Today’s meditation gives me renewed vigor to live obediently and faithfully for Jesus. I pray, Lord, for the gift and presence of the Holy Spirit that I might have the strength, power and wisdom to do so. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment