Wednesday, December 13: Song of Songs 5- Am I my wife's friend? .

Yesterday the heart of the lover for his bride filled the pages. Today the tables have turned; it is the beloved thoughts on her lover. My eyes filled with thoughts as I read the concluding sentence.

His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, this is my friend, daughters of Jerusalem (16).

“Am I?” I wondered. Am I my wife’s friend?

It is one thing to be her husband and her lover. But am I her friend? Do we relate on friendship levels? Do we enjoy each other’s company? Do we enter each other’s world? Do we simply like being together?

Friendship with one’s spouse is such a gift. Sadly it is too often overlooked. Rarely is spousal friendship portrayed on TV or in the movies. Watching a TV show with Susan yesterday she commented, “It seems like everyone on this show is married 2 or 3 times.” How sad that is.

I am blessed to be married only once and to my best friend at that. It is a gift I wish for every couple I know.

Thank You, Lord God, for this word about marital friendship… Your Word is spurring me on to treasuring this gift and causing me to make sure I do not take that gift for granted. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment