Thursday, December 14: Song of Songs 6- How do I speak about my spouse in public?.

The woman says in this chapter, I am my beloved’s and my beloved is mine… (3a).

Security… she feels secure in her lover’s love.

Immediately after this he speaks forth his delight and love for her, he praises her in front of his friends (verses 4-9).

I began to replay conversations among friends, listening in my mind’s ear to how people speak about their spouse or significant other. It is not always pleasant. The more I think about this often it is not pleasant. How sad.

I am stopped in my tracks… How do I speak about my wife, and if I extend this thought a bit to add my children… how do I speak about them in front of other people, particularly when my spouse (or child) is present? Such is the situation in chapter 6.

I push the envelope even further… Is my natural reaction and speech to honor, bless and delight in them in conversation?  How would a transcript of my talk among friends about my wife read?

I hope, I pray, it would be honoring and positive, rather than cranky and complaining….

How about you?

Oh, Lord God, use my mouth and my words to bless my wife and children at all times but particularly when I am speaking about them in a public way and in quiet conversations with my closest friends. Lord, increase my love for my wife and give me practical ways to express my love for her to her. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment