Tuesday, December 12: Song of Songs 4- How well do you love your spouse?.

As I read this chapter my heart goes to my wife. At first I thought this wasn’t ‘devotional’ enough. Where are my meditations on God, Jesus and the Spirit? I wondered if my thoughts of my wife were carnal, but then I realized what a gift my wife is… a gift from the Lord and I am led to probe my own life making sure that I treasure her –a gift from the Lord –as He would treasure her.

Am I loving my wife as Jesus Christ loves his church?  Jesus laid down his life for the church. Am I expressing that kind of love for my wife?

I realize that God is speaking to me after all. The Lord is probing my in most being, discovering if it is aligning with His will for human marital life. And like every probe from the Lord, He reveals places I need to grow to be more like Him…

Thoughts of Galatians 5, the Fruit of the Spirit, pierce my heart… am I loving, joyful, peacemaking, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle and filled with self-control in my exchanges and thoughts about my wife –my lover –my gift from the Lord?

If you are reading this and you are married, you might probe some of these same areas regarding your spouse.

If you are not married I am not sure where you might go… I believe the Lord will direct you as you ponder His Word.

Thank You Lord for the recognition that my wife is a gift from You and I must, repeat must treat her with the respect and love that Jesus shows His church. Please empower me to do so Lord, as I live to honor You. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment