Saturday, December 23: 1John 1- Fellowship.

A significant word in this morning’s chapter is fellowship… We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ (3).

The word fellowship appears again in verses 6-7: If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

So through faith in Jesus we have fellowship with one another and fellowship with God. Fellowship (Greek: koinonia) is a deep participation with another; it is a mutual participation with one another. John is expressing the deep living connection we have with one another and with God through our faith in Jesus. This fellowship is a ‘living bond’ between us and God and us and one another.

The kind of connection and participation that John and other biblical writers understand in the word ‘fellowship’ goes well beyond the small talk and “Hi, how are you” that characterize most polite conversations after Sunday worship. John is talking about having a real deep inner connection and participation with God and others and the others and God with us.

Even though I am struggling to put into words what John is describing, I am feeling it within my soul. And as I sit here today I am sensing the deep connection and participation with the Lord through faith in Jesus.

God is with me… I know that down to the very depths of my being. And I hope and pray you know that, too…

Oh, Lord, I am so blessed to be in You and with You. You are the joy of my life and the rock upon which I live. I praise You, Lord. And pray through Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment