Monday, December 25: 1John 2- Merry Christmas. obedience is God's desire.

John writes, But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did (5-6).

Obedience is so important. It is easy to say “I believe” but obedience shows we believe. Words are easy, action and follow through is much more difficult. This is true is all areas in life. Saying ‘I love you’ and living ‘I love you’ are very different. When it comes to faith, living it is called ‘obedience’. John says… obey; that is when we know God has truly transformed a person by His love.

So now I have to consider my life. What are the areas where I struggle with obedience??? Where do you struggle with obedience? Today’s time with Jesus starts by considering this question.

John follows his call to obedience with a pointed statement. Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did. The image of living as Jesus did struck me. I tend to be a visual person, so I can see Jesus living. From the Gospels I can imagine how Jesus would act in many contemporary situations and that helps me think through how I should live as a follower of Jesus.

I fall so short of Jesus’ ideal, still thinking how Jesus might act in a given situation helps me see how I should live.

I am back to evaluating my life… this time based on how Jesus would live. I am reminded by the phrase, WWJD, What would Jesus do? While I cannot be absolutely certain in every situation how Jesus would act, the more I read the Gospels and the New Testament the clearer my picture of Jesus becomes.

Lord, to be like Jesus, to obey You and Your will and way. These are my goals and ideals. But Lord, I cannot do this on my own. I need the presence and coaching of the Holy Spirit within my life. Guide me Oh, Holy Spirit, that I may grow in my living like Jesus. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment