Thursday, December 21: 1Peter4- Pray and love .

Again there is so much here. God is so good feeding us a buffet of great spiritual food. After surveying the whole, it was verse 7 to the end of the section that drew me to closer inspection.

The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen (7-11).

Pray and love, that’s how Peter begins. What a simple and helpful word. Pray and love…

Pray: remain connected to the source –Our God, Father, Jesus and the Spirit. Too often in life I operate in my own wisdom and strength. I do what I know to do rather than connecting first to the Lord and gaining His perspective and wisdom on the matter. Talk to the Lord about things.

Too often I view prayer as a formal set pattern, instead of the ebb and flow of a life in relationship and a life in conversation. As I meditate on this I am realizing that prayer as conversation and relationship is the essence of prayer. There may be formal times of conversation but also spontaneous in the moment connections and communication. The whole of this is what I believe Paul is inviting us to when he says be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray

Next up love: Love is a verb; it describes how we act and live. Love as Jesus makes clear is the primary of God’s character traits we are to emulate. Everything else Peter mentions in this paragraph could be considered a practical activity of love. Offering hospitality is a facet of love. Using our gifts is a facet of love. And one of the beauties of love is that it covers over a multitude of sins.  Love is the salve that heals and blesses the world.

And we, as Christ’s followers, get to spread the salve of love on all the people we meet in our everyday life. Just imagine if every Christian spread love in every interaction we have every day… how much better would the world be.

Oh, God, may it be so with me… may I spread the salve of love one interaction at a time with every person I meet. Forgive me, Lord, when I slip from this ideal and let sin win, through a comment I make or a vibe I give off or a thought I entertain. Forgive me, Lord, and please correct me so that I may again begin spreading the salve of love as I live my life. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment