Saturday, December 2: Ecclesiastes 8- Honoring God in how I live is always the right way to live .

I don’t live in a monarchy, but I kept coming back to verses 2&3. How do they apply to me? What wisdom and inspiration do they offer someone from a democracy in 2017?

So I pondered…

Obey the king’s command, I say, because you took an oath before God. Do not be in a hurry to leave the king’s presence. Do not stand up for a bad cause, for he will do whatever he pleases.

As a citizen I have an implicit oath to my country, so I should obey the ‘law of the land’ and honor my oath before God. This, I believe, remains true. Now if a law of the land is opposed to God’s law then and only then I should follow my conscience and obey God’s law. As Peter says in Acts 5:29, We must obey God rather than men. In this situation, like Peter and John we will likely face institutional correction under the law of the land. In that case our suffering under the law is part of our obedience to the Lord.

The second thought-prompter comes from the last statement, Do not stand up for a bad cause…

I take this to mean, do not stand up for a dishonorable cause. This takes more thought. If I believe my governmental officials to be wrong I can ‘dishonor’ them by opposing them and calling them to honesty, truth and rightfulness. But as I listen to this verse I should do this in the most personally honorable way possible.

Life is so very different today than back when a king ruled supremely. But today or back then, honoring God in how I live, is always the right way to live. And this is a morsel I can chew on and contemplate…

Lord, I desire to honor YOU! Help me live well in Your eyes, no matter my earthly consequences. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment