Tuesday, December 5: Ecclesiastes 10- A strong warning comes my way .

In another proverb-like chapter, offering thoughts on a wise range of topics, I read and wonder where to meditate. Eventually I settle on verse 1:

As dead flies give perfume a bad smell, so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor.

Consistency, steadiness, staying the path, watching your step, these are only a sampling of phrases that flooded my thoughts as I began to consider this word.

How many lives are ruined by one bad mistake? A bad choice here, a poor decision there, every one of us is capable of these at any time. Cut a corner ‘just this once’ cause nothing will happen, who will find out… or so we think.

A poster child for this proverb could be ‘Joe Pa’ from Penn State. I don’t know if we know all the facts, but his decision to wash his hands of a colleague’s inappropriate actions rather than pursue it destroyed his decades-long legacy.

A strong warning comes my way through this word.

Hold the line. Stay vigilant. Live honorably all the time…

O Lord, give me strength to continue… wisdom and discernment in measureless quantities so that above all, I will honor You all the days of my life. I know I am a sinner, Lord. Help me to keep short accounts with You and by Your grace to avoid folly and the sullying of Your name. I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment