Thursday, February 1: 1Chronicles 28- The Handoff.

 

The best leaders understand that someday their leadership must be handed off to someone else. Every generation needs to recognize that at some point they must hand off leadership to the ensuing generation. The legacy of George Washington could have been scuttled by John Adams.

Even Jesus understood that He needed to hand the reigns of His movement to His disciples. Leadership handoffs are critical if movements are to continue.

Today we read David’s leadership handoff.

The people are established. There is order and organization. And for David’s deep desire and calling to build a temple –a place rest for the Ark of the Covenant (2) –David has provided plans and materials.

David not only provides for the ongoing work of the people of God, today he calls all the leaders and particularly his son Solomon –the next king –to continuing devotion to the Lord. David knows a people devoted only to the Lord will be blessed by the Lord.

My first thought… am I providing what the following generations need in order that they, too, might serve the Lord and complete His call of extending His name and fame to the ends of the earth?

Second, am I remaining faithful to the Lord and am I calling the following generations to faithfulness? Faithfulness is essential in building the work of God, which is the primary calling of the church today.

Am I steadfastly faithful?  Are you?

Am I helping those younger than me grow in faithfulness? Are you?

Am I giving them the tools they will need to build God’s kingdom? Are you?

These are the questions that are burrowing into me as I sit with this chapter this morning.

As I paused to pray I found myself praying the words of a song ‘Holiness’ (take my life) by Scott Underwood …

O Lord,

Faithfulness, Faithfulness is what I long for

Faithfulness is what I need

Faithfulness, Faithfulness is what You

want from me

So, take my heart and form it

Take my mind and transform it

Take my will and conform it

To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord

 

I have printed only stanza 2. And you can listen to the entire song free on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeEytocJVY.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment